from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Computer Science A technique permitting many users simultaneous access to a central computer through remote terminals.
- n. Joint ownership or lease of vacation property by several people who take turns occupying the premises for fixed periods.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The joint ownership or lease of a property by multiple people who can only use it for specified periods each year.
- n. A technique that allows many users to use a central computer simultaneously through remote terminals.
- v. Present participle of time-share.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Republished with permission from O'Reilly Media from It's a time-sharing world.
Now, time-sharing often reminds us of vacation condos, but I was reminded that the Unix Operating System was called a time-sharing system.
O'Reilly Media: How would you describe the kind of products or services that lend themselves to time-sharing?
Germany, Austria, Belgium, Finland, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg and the Netherlands have benefited from time-sharing programs among workers, which helped absorb the fall in gross domestic product from the financial crisis.
Computers and the Internet: A 1999 study, "Funding a Revolution: Government Support of for Computing Research," stated, "Federal funding not only financed development of most of the nation's early digital computers, but also has continued to enable breakthroughs in areas as wide ranging as computer time-sharing, the Internet, artificial intelligence, and virtual reality as the industry has matured."
Later, Mr. McCarthy became an architect of computer time-sharing.
While in some sense this is not so different from time-sharing, enterprises can now handle bursts in demand for core services, not just for analytics.
The machine was an IBM 7090, a mainframe that pre-dated time-sharing machines.
Bill Rupp The museum's theme is time-sharing computers, or computers that allow multiple users.
That's just life, and I'm not as good at time-sharing my mental and creative work as some people are.