from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Noise such as buzzing, ringing, or whistling, heard in the ear without an external stimulus and having multiple causes including infection, trauma, and drugs.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In medicine, a ringing in the ears.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Med.) A ringing, whistling, or other imaginary noise perceived in the ears; -- called also
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The
perceptionof noise, such as a ringing or beating sound, which has no external source.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a ringing or booming sensation in one or both ears; a symptom of an ear infection or Meniere's disease
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
The word tinnitus comes from the Latin for ringing, and people hear noises ringing, buzzing, whistling in one or both ears, or in their heads.
I forget you are deaf Flo, my tinnitus is a constant nuisance.
One cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud noise: for example, in the U.S., nearly half of the soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan who were exposed to explosions or gunfire suffer from it.
In many people, the source of the tinnitus is idiopathic (no known cause).
One of the challenges in researching tinnitus is developing an animal model.
The columnist states that tinnitus is caused by exposure to loud noise.
God, I'm old, but I have no interest in tinnitus tonightus.
Flor believes tinnitus is also a kind of phantom sensation, so her group tried using the same principle in reverse to treat it.
• Long-term tinnitus affects around one in every 100 according to Department of Health statistics, and is most common in older people.
ear/nose/throat specialist in Atlanta , who shared the following information about long-term tinnitus and possible treatments.