from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A species of ground cherry (Physalis ixocarpa) native to Mexico, widely naturalized in eastern North America, and having an edible, yellow to purple viscid fruit.
- n. The fruit of this plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fruit of the genus Physalis, resembling the tomato but surrounded by a thin papery skin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. annual of Mexico and southern United States having edible purplish viscid fruit resembling small tomatoes
- n. small edible yellow to purple tomato-like fruit enclosed in a bladderlike husk
- n. Mexican annual naturalized in eastern North America having yellow to purple edible fruit resembling small tomatoes
(The word "tomatillo" is not used in Mexican markets.)
Anyway, once you pull off the papery wrapping, the tomatillo is sticky and often has black specks on it from where the original blossom withered against the fruit.
Enchiladas in tomatillo cream sauce: Enchiladas suizas by
Enchiladas in tomatillo cream sauce: Enchiladas suizas: Mexican Recipe
In the USA and other English-speaking places, the tomate is known as tomatillo (note that the English word ends in 'o').
The tomatillo is in the Solanaceae (nightshade) family.
Will it be his pork with green tomatillo-avocado salsa, or the duck breast in red chile-apricot mole?
Reuben Sanchez ($11), described on the menu as braised corned beef, was actually a tasty and tender brisket sandwich with sharp cheddar, on grilled rye bread that was enlivened in a clever way by some tomatillo-jalapeño jam.
Held in a seniors center, the winter market was packed thanks to the brunch special of the day, a tomatillo sauce-drenched fried egg platter with some crisp greens and cherry cobbler prepared by Tory Miller, Executive Chef of L'Etoile.
The chilaquiles verdes at Hencho en Dumbo are made with housemade yellow corn tortillas stewed in a spicy tomatillo salsa and topped with shredded free-range chicken, queso-fresco and a fried egg.