from The Century Dictionary.
- Having tone or a tone: much used in composition: as, high -toned; shrill -toned.
- Having distinctive tones as a fixed feature of the pronunciation of a word, as in Chinese. See
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Having (such) a tone; -- chiefly used in composition.
- adjective paper having a slight tint, in distinction from paper which is quite white.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb Simple past tense and past participle of
- adjective Having a (specified kind of) tone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective having or characterized or distinguished by tone or a specific tone; often used in combination
- adjective having or distinguished by a tone; often used in combination
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Everett Collection Robert De Niro as Travis Bickle "I used the phrase 'toned the color down,'" Mr. Scorsese told an audience attending the "Taxi Driver" restoration unveiling at the DGA Theater last week.
It always works for my curly hair mocha skin toned self!
The shouting matches at the town halls mimic the exact style of "discussion" she led and inspired during the campaign until McCain toned her down.
My friend, noted painter Jody Bergsma, shared her philosophy about interior paint, "It needs to be skin toned so people feel comfortable in your house."
Yet, in its own way, the feminine resistance of these good citizens 'wives, without being equally high-toned, is worthy of record, and far too full of character to be passed over.
(CNN) – New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is set to be sworn in for an unprecedented third term Friday in what aides are calling a toned down affair.
The Backstory "No Strings Attached" : Originally called "F—buddies"; the title was toned down for mainstream consumption.
Many ancient coins toned very gradually over a period of centuries.
Then again, as the Feigenbaum-Shamhart coin toned considerably during its nineteen or so years in an NGC holder, this NGC graded MS-67 1901-S quarter may tone nicely as well.
Little bit of brilliance from The Nameless One f-word toned down for this blog: