from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small piece of wood or other material for removing food particles from between the teeth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small, usually wooden stick, often pointed at both ends, for removing food residue from the area between the teeth.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A pointed instrument for clearing the teeth of substances lodged between them.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An implement, as a sharpened quill or a small pointed piece of wood, for cleaning the teeth of substances lodged between them.
- n. A bowie-knife.
- n. An umbelliferous plant, Ammi Visnaga, of the Mediterranean region: so named from the use made of the rays of the main umbel, which harden after flowering. Also called toothpick bishop's-weed, and Spanish toothpick.
- Shaped like a toothpick: specifically noting hoots and shoes having narrow, pointed toes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pick consisting of a small strip of wood or plastic; used to pick food from between the teeth
Sorry, no etymologies found.
As a guy who has trouble whittling a toothpick from a willow stick, I was wowed by the process.
Bake just until the tops feel firm and are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 22 minutes (If you put chocolate on yours, insert the toothpick from the side diagonally toward the center).
A toothpick is the object most often choked on by Americans!
We often focus on outer details like the beard, the veil or niqāb, the miswāk (a kind of long toothpick from a root that Islam’s prophet used), the long white tunic, etc.
Barka’id the toothpick is described as a beautiful girl.
They were complying with the new ethics law, and there ` s an exemption that ` s, you know, known as the toothpick exemption where you can only serve finger food.
LAWRENCE: Catering manager, Linda Darke, is trying to comply with the new so-called toothpick rule, which means, Senator so and so will be eating French fries, not fillet.
LAWRENCE: Catering manager Linda Darke is trying to comply with the so-called toothpick rule which means senator so and so will be eating French fries, not filet.
LAWRENCE: Catering manager Linda Darke is trying to comply with the new so-called toothpick rule, which means senator so and so will be eating french fries, not fillet.
The toothpick should be a quill, not because the metalic picks injure the enamel, but because the quill pick is so flexible it fits into all the irregularities between the teeth.