from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. The slightly curved upper iron used in carpenters’ and joiners’ smoothing- or jack-planes which have wooden faces. It stiffens the plane-iron by a pressure applied close to and along the length of the cutting edge, and if very close to the latter may help to break the shaving in brittle woods.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.