from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The place-names of a country or district, or a register of such names.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The designation of position and direction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Alternative spelling of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the nomenclature of regional anatomy
- noun the branch of lexicology that studies the place names of a region or a language
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The Copycat Effect (NY: Simon and Schuster, 2004), and in forthcoming books, with further explorations in onomatology (the study of names) and toponomy (the study of places).
On the other hand, Dr. Burrill's article on "Toponomy and Cultural History" is a very good example of how toponomy (and lexicography in general) and history can benefit from each other.