from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Mathematics A surface generated by a closed curve rotating about, but not intersecting or containing, an axis in its own plane.
- n. Mathematics A solid having such a surface.
- n. A body having the shape of a toroid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A surface generated by a closed curve (especially a circle) rotating about, but not intersecting or containing, an axis in its own plane.
- n. A ring-shaped object whose surface is a torus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as toroidal.
- n. A surface or solid of revolution determined by revolving any closed-plane contour about an axis in its plane which does not intersect it.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a ring-shaped surface generated by rotating a circle around an axis that does not intersect the circle
- n. the doughnut-shaped object enclosed by a torus
I think you were just missing the need for the patch where the "toroid" was. just a quick Q: why all the UCS changes?
The key component is the car's flywheel accumulator, a washer drum-sized device sitting in the cockpit that stores electrical energy mechanically, in a toroid-shaped mass spinning at up to 38,000 rpm.
In response to a few quick taps of his razor-sharp claws, the darkened screen lit up and displayed what was obviously a highly magnified view of a complex molecular form, its toroid surface studded with innumerable side chains; it reminded Riker of one of the perceptually deceptive drawings of M. C. Escher.
I am hoping there is a hint at what is causing that corkscrew spiral emanating from the toroid hole.
Now if only those object designators could be superimpose onto this image. i.e. is Sgr A* the presumed center/BH inside what looks to be the donut hole of the "brighter" toroid/sphere in this image?
X-rays generated by a young star burst nursery around Sag-A however, that "brighter" spherical concentration peeked my curiosity esp. that dark area and jet within the toroid.
Pivar's model of development has long been that we achieve the diversity of organismal form by starting with a torus, and that fluid movements and distortions of the toroid form lead to the more elaborate forms at the end of development.
The complexity of reliable mini-toroid formation and acceleration with compact, relatively low-cost equipment remains to be determined.
And wonder if Gilgamesh and the Furries will twist the whole structure into some sort of five-dimensional toroid or something.
I mean, really, take a poll on Main Street and see how many “regular” people know what toroid means.