from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small, fast warship equipped for firing torpedoes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a small, high-speed warship designed to fire torpedoes, especially in coastal waters
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a vessel adapted for carrying, launching, operating, or otherwise making use of, torpedoes against an enemy's ship., especially, a small, fast boat with tubes for launching torpedoes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, a boat from which a torpedo is operated; especially, a small swift steamer carrying one or more offensive torpedoes for use against an enemy's ships.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small high-speed warship designed for torpedo attacks in coastal waters
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Moreover, a torpedo boat thus stopped would, by catching the rope, draw the guard-boat on either side of her, or right on top of her.