from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a strip of paper impregnated with nitre used as a fuse for firing gunpowder, fireworks etc

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. Paper steeped in saltpeter, which burns slowly, and is used as a match for firing gunpowder, and the like.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Paper steeped in niter so that it catches fire from a spark and burns slowly, used for firing gunpowder and other explosives.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.