from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any fish of genus Toxotes, the archerfishes.
- n. A Greek archer armed with a short Greek bow and a short sword.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of fishes comprising the archer fishes. See archer fish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of fishes, typical of the family Toxotidæ; the archer-fishes. See cut under archerfish.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Toxotidae
From Ancient Greek τοξότης (toksοtēs, "bowman, archer"). (Wiktionary)