from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or constructed of turf.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Abounding with turf; made of, or covered with, turf.
- adj. Having the nature or appearance of turf.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the turf, or horse racing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Abounding or covered with turf; covered with short grass; also, having the qualities, nature, or appearance of turf.
- Of or connected with the turf or race-ground; characteristic of the turf or of horse-racing; sporting.
A violet shed its modest beauties at the turfy root of an old oak.
And we don't need any more tinkering by the legislature, who should keep their turfy porky mitts out of things.
I put Weena, still motionless, down upon a turfy bole, and very hastily, as my first lump of camphor waned, I began collecting sticks and leaves.
It lay very high upon a turfy down, and looking north-eastward before I entered it, I was surprised to see a large estuary, or even creek, where I judged Wandsworth and Battersea must once have been.
He answered the question again because Mr Bailey asked it again; Mr Bailey asked it again, because — accompanied with a straddling action of the white cords, a bend of the knees, and a striking forth of the top – boots — it was an easy horse – fleshy, turfy sort of thing to do.
And the congregation sat partly clustered on the slope below, and partly among the idolatrous monoliths and on the turfy soil of the Ring itself.
She had rested nearly half an hour on the turfy slope before the chapel, when she perceived through the twilight, two monks descending from the monastery towards the spot where she sat.
But even here, where sap of time had breached the turfy ramparts, the hover of the dew-mist passed away, and the steady light was unfolded.
'Can you see many long weeds and nettles amongst the graves; or do they look turfy and flowery?'
Soon after, the sun arose, when the dripping rocks, with the shrubs that fringed their summits, and many a turfy slope below, sparkled in his rays.