from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A saw with a thin blade which can make a curved kerf, as for chair-backs, scrollwork, etc. Also called sweep-saw, bow-saw, frame-saw, scroll-saw.
  • n. A keyhole-saw.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • The turning-saw is used chiefly for cutting curves.

    Handwork in Wood

  • The turning-saw may be used to cut on either the pulling or the pushing stroke, with the teeth pointed either toward or away from the worker.

    Handwork in Wood

  • Then, after the outline is drawn, the trough may be gouged, the outline cut with turning-saw, chisel, and spokeshave, and the edges molded with the gouge or chisel.

    Handwork in Wood

  • The _turning-saw_, Fig. 95, is a narrow saw, set in a frame, which stretches the saw tight, so that it works as a tension saw (cf.p. 62).

    Handwork in Wood


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.