ultramicroscope love



from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A microscope with high-intensity illumination used to study very minute objects, such as colloidal particles that scatter the light and appear as bright spots against a dark background.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun An instrument for rendering visible, by means of diffractive effects, bodies below the limit of the resolving-power of the microscope.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun a microscope that uses bright illumination against a black background to view small particles

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun light microscope that uses scattered light to show particles too small to see with ordinary microscopes


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word ultramicroscope.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.