from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Anatomy The flexible cordlike structure connecting a fetus at the abdomen with the placenta and containing two umbilical arteries and one vein that transport nourishment to the fetus and remove its wastes.
- noun Something likened to this structure; a source or means of support or sustenance.
- noun Any of various external electrical lines or fluid tubes that supply a rocket before launch.
- noun The line that supplies an astronaut with oxygen and in some cases with communications while outside the spacecraft.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun anatomy The
flexible structure connectinga foetuswith the placenta; which transports nourishmentto the foetusand removes waste.
- noun aerospace The
linethat suppliesan astronautwith oxygenand communicationswhen outsidea spacecraft
- noun aerospace any of the various lines connecting a
rocketto its launch padbefore liftoff
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun membranous duct connecting the fetus with the placenta
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.