from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- transitive verb To feed insufficiently.
- transitive verb To supply (an engine) with fuel from the underside.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To supply with too little food; feed insufficiently.
- Noting apparatus which feeds or supplies fresh material from below; specifically, noting a form of mechanical feeder for fuel of boiler-furnaces, designed for bituminous coal rich in volatile components.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To feed with too little food; to supply with an insufficient quantity of food.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb to
feed inadequatelyor insufficiently
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
The most complacent Britisher cannot hope to draw off the life-blood, and underfeed, and keep it up forever.
GRACE: I don ` t know that I believe that, underfeed a baby so the baby can be sexy?
Among other things, she is saying that Anna Nicole ordered her to underfeed the baby so the baby could be -- and I'll give you the quote -- "sexy."
And she ordered this nanny, according to the affidavit, to underfeed the child with baby food, and the nanny says that the baby looked undernourished as a result.
Because we heard in an affidavit filed by the nanny who was fired that she claims Anna Nicole Smith told her to deliberately underfeed the child.
Chain grate stokers in general produce less smoke than either overfeed or underfeed types, due to the fact that there are no cleaning periods necessary.
Mechanical Stokers are of three general types: 1st, overfeed; 2nd, underfeed; and 3rd, traveling grate.
In the horizontal classes of underfeed stokers, the action of a screw carries the fuel back through a retort from which it passes upward, as the fuel above is consumed, the ash being finally deposited on dead plates on either side of the retort, from which it can be removed.
She will overwork you, I'm afraid: I only hope she won't underfeed you.
One of these boilers is equipped with a Jones underfeed stoker, and is baffled in the regular way.