from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A flat plate forming part of the seat of a valve, usually the contact portion, so that it can be renewed on wear or leakage without discarding or re-finishing the entire casting.
  • n. A plate fitting over the end of the casing of a cylindrical valve, serving to guide the valve and close the opening.
  • n. A plate covering an opening into a valve-chest. Usually called a bonnet.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.