Help support Wordnik by adopting your favorite word!


from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. The rod which actuates or drives a valve-stem; the rod which is fastened to a valve to move it back and forth.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • G, which slide-valve is operated forward and back by means of the valve-rod, o¹, the outer end of which is hinged to the upper end of the slotted lever, o², Fig. 1, that is hung at o³, on the end of the balanced and vibratory beam of truss, i, as shown.

    Scientific American Supplement, No. 324, March 18, 1882

  • "The valve-rod, o ', is to be connected to a link and reversing lever as usual, such being, however, omitted in the drawings."

    Scientific American Supplement, No. 324, March 18, 1882

  • You will now be able to measure off exactly the distance between the centres of the valve-rod fork pin and the rear screw of the eccentric.

    Things To Make


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.