from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A small opening; a vent.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a puff of air coming through a hole in a wind instrument

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A small hole, as the stop in a flute; a vent.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A small hole; specifically, in musical instruments of the wood wind group, a vent or finger-hole.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.