from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A nest or colony of wasps or hornets.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A nest built by a social wasp species.
- n. A colony of wasps living in such a nest.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A nest, or habitation, of insects of the wasp kind.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hornets' nest; the habitation of social wasps; also, the colony or aggregate of wasps in such a nest. See Vespa, and cut under wasp, and compare apiary and formicary.
Latin vespa, wasp + (ap)iary.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin vespa ("wasp") + -iary (Wiktionary)