from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A green, brown, yellow, or blue metamorphic silicate mineral, Ca10Mg2Al4(SiO4)5(Si2O7)2(OH)4. Also called idocrase.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A yellow, green or brown mineral, a mixed calcium, magnesium and aluminium silicate sometimes used as a gemstone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mineral occurring in tetragonal crystals, and also massive, of a brown to green color, rarely sulphur yellow and blue. It is a silicate of alumina and lime with some iron magnesia, and is common at Vesuvius. Also called idocrase.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mineral occurring in tetragonal crystals of a brown to green color, rarely yellow or blue.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a green or yellow or brown mineral consisting of a hydrated silicate; it occurs as crystals in limestone and is used a gemstone
First found in old lava on Mount Vesuvius .(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Vesuvian + -ite (Wiktionary)