from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A device used to print photographs and illustrations with borders that fade gradually into the background.
  • n. One who makes or specializes in the making of vignettes.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A device used by photographers in printing vignettes, consisting of a screen of paper or glass with a central aperture the edges of which become opaque by insensible gradations.
  • n. A maker of vignettes.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In photography, any device for causing the edges of a printed part of a negative to fade away evenly and gradually into the background


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.