from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • Either of two pairs of bands or folds of mucous membrane in the throat that project into the larynx. The lower pair vibrate when pulled together and when air is passed up from the lungs, thereby producing vocal sounds. The upper, thicker pair are not involved in voice production. Also called vocal folds.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Two folds of tissue located in the larynx that vibrate when air passes over them, producing the sound waves associated with talking and singing.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. The two pairs of mucous membranes that project into the larynx, and which produce the sounds of speech by vibrating under the influence of air exhaled from the lungs. See Larynx, and the Note under Voice, n., 1.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.