from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A parliamentary vote that is determined by the relative volume of noise of those shouting “aye” and “nay.”

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A vote that is held by members calling out aye or nay, used in cases where result is not contested or at least not close and a count is not needed to determine if the motion passes.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.