from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A horizontal timber situated along the top of a wall at the level of the eaves for bearing the ends of joists or rafters.
- noun A plate used to attach a bracket or similar device to a wall.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In building, a timber placed horizontally in or on a wall, under the ends of girders, joists, and other timbers.
- noun In mining, one of the two long pieces of timber which with two short ones (end pieces) make up a set in the timbering of a shaft.
- noun In machinery, a vertical plate at the back of a plumber-block bracket, for attaching it to a wall or post.
- noun A plaque, like that of a sconce; especially, a mirror from the face of which projects the bracket or arm sup porting a candle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun plate (a timber along the top of a wall) to support the ends of joists, etc., and distribute the load
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.