from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A cut made through the side of a canal, reservoir, etc., for carrying off surplus water.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun An overfall, or weir, for the escape, or overflow, of superfluous water from a canal, reservoir, pond, or the like.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A weir that allows the escape of excess water from a canal or reservoir

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a channel that carries excess water over or around a dam or other obstruction


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • A dam 2,400 feet long and 80 feet in height, with tunnels, wasteweir, and accessory works would be required at Mountain View.

    The Passaic Flood of 1903

  • The situation is such that an ample wasteweir may be built at a low-side dam on the solid rock of Hook Mountain remote from the dam, and outlets may be had by tunneling the same ridge.

    The Passaic Flood of 1903


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.