from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dog that takes easily to the water, especially one trained for hunting waterfowl.
- n. Informal A person who feels at home in or on the water.
- n. See mudpuppy.
- n. Western U.S. Any of several large salamanders.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A retriever type of gun dog bred to flush and retrieve game from water.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A dog accustomed to the water, or trained to retrieve waterfowl. Retrievers, waters spaniels, and Newfoundland dogs are so trained.
- The menobranchus.
- A small floating cloud, supposed to indicate rain.
- A sailor, esp. an old sailor; an old salt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a dog accustomed to water and usually trained to retrieve waterfowl
- n. a person who enjoys being in or on the water
Sorry, no etymologies found.