from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A drinking glass or goblet.
  • n. An open tube or box having a glass bottom for making observations below the surface of the water.
  • n. See sodium silicate.
  • n. A water gauge made of glass.
  • n. See clepsydra.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A common name for some water-soluble silicate compounds, especially when occurring in dissolved, jelly-like form.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. See Soluble glass, above.
  • See Soluble glass, under glass.
  • A clepsydra.
  • An instrument consisting of an open box or tube with a glass bottom, used for examining objects in the water, as upon the sea bottom in shallow places.
  • A water gauge for a steam boiler.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A glass water-gage to indicate to the eye the level of the water in a steam-boiler.
  • n. A water-clock or clepsydra.
  • n. An instrument for making observations be neath the surface of water, consisting of a tube with a glass bottom; a water-telescope.
  • n. Same as soluble glass (which see, under glass).

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. clock that measures time by the escape of water
  • n. a viscous glass consisting of sodium silicate in solution; used as a cement or as a protective coating and to preserve eggs
  • n. a glass for drinking water
  • n. gauge for indicating the level of water in e.g. a tank or boiler or reservoir


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • After deciding on the stuffed saltimbocca di pollo, David closed his menu and reached for his water glass but paused when he noticed the tables centerpiece.

    The After Wife


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.