from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Mythology A nymph, such as a naiad or Nereid, living in or near water.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A goddess of any stream or other body of water, whether one of the Naiads, Nereids, or Oceanides.
- A water lily (Nymphæa).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any dragon-fly.
- n. A Naiad.
- n. A plant of the genus Naias.
- n. The water-lily, Castalia (Nymphæa).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fairy that inhabits water
- n. submerged aquatic plant having narrow leaves and small flowers; of fresh or brackish water
- n. (Greek mythology) any nymph of the water
- n. a water lily having large leaves and showy fragrant flowers that float on the water; of temperate and tropical regions
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.