from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of various semiaquatic rodents, especially Neofiber alleni of Florida and southern Georgia, that resemble the muskrat but are smaller and have a round tail.
- noun Slang A petty thief or ruffian who frequents waterfronts.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun One of several different rodents, of aquatic habits, belonging to the family Muridæ.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- The water vole. See under
- The muskrat.
- The beaver rat. See under
- A thief on the water; a pirate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun US Any of various
rodentsfrom Floridaand southern Georgia, especially Neofiber alleni; the muskrat.
- noun informal The
Eurasian water vole, Arvicola amphibius (or Arvicola terrestris).
- noun US, slang A
petty thiefor waterfront ruffian.
- noun slang A person fond of
- noun Australia A member of the
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun any of various amphibious rats
- noun a person who enjoys being in or on the water
- noun common large Eurasian vole
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.