from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various semiaquatic rodents, especially Neofiber alleni, of Florida and southern Georgia, closely related to and resembling the muskrat.
- n. See muskrat.
- n. Slang A petty thief or ruffian who frequents waterfronts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various rodents from Florida and southern Georgia, especially Neofiber alleni; the muskrat.
- n. The Eurasian water vole, Arvicola amphibius (or Arvicola terrestris).
- n. A petty thief or waterfront ruffian.
- n. A person fond of water sports.
- n. A member of the water police.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The water vole. See under vole.
- The muskrat.
- The beaver rat. See under beaver.
- A thief on the water; a pirate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of several different rodents, of aquatic habits, belonging to the family Muridæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various amphibious rats
- n. a person who enjoys being in or on the water
- n. common large Eurasian vole
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.