from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A projecting ledge, molding, or stringcourse along the side of a building, designed to throw off rainwater.
  • n. The level below which the ground is completely saturated with water. Also called water level.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. The level, underground, below which the ground is saturated with water

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • A molding, or other projection, in the wall of a building, to throw off the water, -- generally used in the United States for the first table above the surface of the ground (see table, n., 9), that is, for the table at the top of the foundation and the beginning of the upper wall.
  • The upper limit of the portion of the ground wholly saturated with water. The water table may be within a few inches of the surface or many feet below it.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In soil investigations, the upper surface of the gravitation or ground water; the upward limit of soil and rock saturation. See soil moisture.
  • n. In car-building, a window ledge.
  • n. In architecture, a string-course, molding, or other projecting member so placed as to throw off water from the wall of a building.
  • n. A small embankment made across a road, especially on a hill, to carry off the water.
  • n. Same as water-bridge.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. underground surface below which the ground is wholly saturated with water


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.