from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A tornado or lesser whirlwind occurring over water and resulting in a funnel-shaped whirling column of air and spray.
  • n. A hole or pipe from which water is discharged.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a tornado that occurs over a body of water
  • n. a channel through which water is discharged, especially from the gutters of a roof

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A remarkable meteorological phenomenon, of the nature of a tornado or whirlwind, usually observed over the sea, but sometimes over the land.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A pipe, nozle, or orifice from which water is spouted.
  • n. A spout, jet, or column of water; specifically, a whirlwind over a body of water, producing the appearance of a solid column of water extending from the surface to the clouds.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a tornado passing over water and picking up a column of water and mist
  • n. a channel through which water is discharged (especially one used for drainage from the gutters of a roof)
  • n. a heavy rain


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.