from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A yet incomplete artistic, theatrical, or musical work, often made available for public viewing or listening.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Work that has been commenced, but is not complete.
- n. A project that has been commenced but is not complete.
- n. A portion of inventory that represents goods which are no longer salable as raw materials, but not yet salable as finished goods, work in process.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a piece of work that is not yet finished
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Moving from prescribed dogma to a truth-based approach to life has been a work in progress for me.
Beholding the work in progress in the meadow, the row of shrouded bodies, the last of them just brought forth and laid beside the rest, and the chaplain, drooping and disconsolate, stumbling after, the driver of the cart, blithely ignoring the guards at the gate, turned his team aside, and made straight for the place of burial.