from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- suffix Of, relating to, or characterized by: advisory.
- suffix A place or thing used for or connected with: crematory.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- suffix An adjective suffix meaning of or pertaining to, serving for; as in auditory, pertaining to or serving for hearing; prohibitory, amendatory, etc.
- suffix A noun suffix denoting that which pertains to, or serves for; as in ambulatory, that which serves for walking; consistory, factory, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Bearing or containing ore: as, ory matters. Also spelled orey.
- A termination of adjectives and nouns of Latin origin, as in auditory, preparatory, etc.
Middle English -orie, from Old North French and Anglo-Norman, from Latin -ōrius, adj. suff., and -ōrium, n. suff.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)