from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Afghanistan or its people, language, or culture.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Afghanistan; an Afghani.
- n. See Pashto.
- n. A coverlet or shawl of wool, knitted or crocheted in colorful geometric designs.
- n. A carpet of similar design.
- n. An Afghan hound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person from Afghanistan or of Afghan descent.
- n. A person of Pashtun ethnicity or of Pashtun descent.
- n. A breed of dogs, the Afghan hound.
- proper n. Pashto, a language primarily spoken in Afghanistan and northwestern Pakistan.
- proper n. Short form for Afghanistan.
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to Afghanistan.
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to the Pashtun ethnic community.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Afghanistan.
- n. A native of Afghanistan.
- n. A kind of worsted blanket or wrap.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A native or an inhabitant of Afghanistan, a mountainous country lying northwest of British India, south of Asiatic Russia, and east of Persia; distinctively, a member of the principal or dominant race of Afghanistan, speaking the Afghan language, the other inhabitants generally speaking Persian.
- n. The language of the Afghans, called by themselves Pushtu or Pukhtu, of Aryan affinity, though formerly supposed by some to be Semitic.
- n. [lowercase] A kind of blanket made of knitted or crocheted wool, used as a sofa-cover or as a carriage-robe.
- Pertaining or relating to Afghanistan or its people.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of Afghanistan or its people
- n. a blanket knitted or crocheted in strips or squares; sometimes used as a shawl
- n. a native or inhabitant of Afghanistan
- n. tall graceful breed of hound with a long silky coat; native to the Near East
- n. an Iranian language spoken in Afghanistan and Pakistan; the official language of Afghanistan
- n. a coat made of sheepskin
Promoted to Headline (H3) on 4/5/09: 5000 troops from NATO for 'Afghan elections' is a signal Obama is on his own yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = '5000 troops from NATO for \'Afghan elections\' is a signal Obama is on his own '; yahooBuzzArticleSummary =' Article: The president will find a great reservoir of goodwill in the international community for his diplomatic initiatives and offers, but I predict declining support for his entire Afghanistan mission - both at home and abroad - if the consequences and effects of the military operations continue to dominate the landscape. '
I am not the modern version of the scruffy Vietnam vet living in a cardboard box, nor do I pay much mind to the label "Afghan vet."
Wikileaks is releasing the set of documents under the title Afghan War Diary.
Butler engaged in dialogue with what he calls Afghan "tribal elders", in meetings also attended by Taliban representatives, and he argues that the reconciliation process could have started several years ago.
He also increased pressure on NATO allies for more troops, reasoning that they needed to take the measure as they too were threatened by what he described as Afghan-based terrorism.
He blamed the attack on the "enemies of Afghanistan" - a term Afghan officials use to refer to Taliban militants and other extremists or criminals behind a wave of violence.
He blamed the attack on the "enemies of Afghanistan," a term Afghan officials use to refer to Taliban and other extremists or criminals behind a wave of insurgent violence.
Out of service since '84, man accused in Afghan case never saw combat
Khaled Hosseini discusses his second novel, A Thousand Splendid Suns, the role of women in Afghan society, how Afghans view the USA and much else in an extensive interview (2007).
Poppy fields in Afghan gotta go and we need to work with renewable energy and global peace!