from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Afghanistan; Afghan.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Afghanistan; an Afghan.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A citizen or native of Afghanistan. From an Afghan point of view this name is wrongly being used for Afghans. After the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan millions of Afghans took refuge in neighboring Pakistan and Iran. The Pakistanis and the international aid agencies coined this word to speak of Pakistanis versus the Afghans.
- n. A monetary currency used in Afghanistan, divided into 100 pul. See afghani.
- adj. Of or relating to Afghanistan, its people, or its language.
It occurred to me that in North Africa, maybe Lebanese or Afghani is not quite your speed, you might be in the mood for some really good Mediterranean food.
LOH claims he is working for XE to train Afghani police!!!
We tried letting poppy cultivation resume as a way of putting cash in Afghani hands.
For people within Afghanistan, the word Afghani is (apparently) associated with a specific ethnicity, and so the communists of that country once argued the adjective in English should be Afghanistani (i.e. so you would say "the Afghanistani roadway system ….").
Folkwear has a pattern called the Afghani Nomad Dress.
Poor guy, I think he means Afghan, as in the people of Afghanistan, and not Afghani, which is the official currency of Afghanistan.
A person from Afghanistan, however, is called an Afghan and would look at you funny if called an Afghani or Afghanistani.
"For people within Afghanistan, the word Afghani is (apparently) associated with a specific ethnicity, and so the communists of that country once argued the adjective in English should be Afghanistani (i.e. so you would say" the Afghanistani roadway system …. ").
The victim, identified as Afghani grain dealer Mohammed Shapoor, survived the beatings.
There's the kooky COIN reference, and he still thinks al-Qa'eda is in Afghanistan, so not much of a news junkie, but the saddest part has to be building "Afghani" capacity.