from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A small laboratory burner consisting of a vertical metal tube connected to a gas source and producing a very hot flame from a mixture of gas and air let in through adjustable holes at the base.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a small laboratory gas burner whose air supply may be controlled with an adjustable hole

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • a kind of burner, invented by Professor Bunsen of Heidelberg, consisting of a straight tube, four or five inches in length, having small holes for the entrance of air at the bottom. Illuminating gas being also admitted at the bottom, a mixture of gas and air is formed which burns at the top with a feebly luminous but intensely hot flame.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • See the nouns.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a gas burner used in laboratories; has an air valve to regulate the mixture of gas and air


After Robert Wilhelm Bunsen.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Named for Robert Wilhelm Bunsen. (Wiktionary)


Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.