from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. The jet piece of a gas fixture where the gas is burned as it escapes from one or more minute orifices.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. The tip or armature of a gas-burning lamp or bracket, through which the gas is caused to issue for consumption.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. burner such that combustible gas issues from a nozzle to form a steady flame


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • "The resulting flames assume the fancied forms of beaks, bats' wings, fish-tails, cock-spurs, etc., whence the different forms of burners have received distinctive names." --Cent. Dict.

    September 26, 2011