from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any state of the Union in which slavery was illegal before the Civil War.
- n. The Irish Free State.
- n. The Congo Free State.
- n. The Orange Free State.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a province in central South Africa that was colonized by the Boers; named Free State in 1997
- n. a Mid-Atlantic state; one of the original 13 colonies
- n. any state prohibiting slavery prior to the American Civil War
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.