from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A burgh of northern Scotland on the Moray Firth at the terminus of the Caledonian Canal. Thought to have been a Pict stronghold, it was chartered c. 1200. Population: 40,900.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A city in Scotland
- proper n. Any of several cities in the United States and Canada (and one county in Nova Scotia, Canada), named after the Scottish city
- n. a type of cloak without sleeves and having a removable cape
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A kind of full sleeveless cape, fitting closely about the neck.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Fifteen years ago today I was working as a TV producer at Scottish Tory Party Conference in Inverness when the news came through.
People in Inverness report sightings of 13 water ghosts in the last 25 years, evil spirits whose main purpose is to lure their victims into dangerous water and then drown them.
As someone pointed out to me, the Sunday Mirror's exclusive about Nick Clegg slagging off his shadown cabinet colleagues whilst on a flight to Inverness is obviously true.
I was lucky with the weather - I got some snow on my first day in Inverness, which was great, and other than that the days were mostly sunny.
Inverness is not as beautiful a city as Edinburgh (but then again, what city is?) but it has a lot of charm and a very unique mood.
As I mentioned some time ago, when I was up in Inverness and found myself bookless, I ended up finding a great book for £3 in the clearance basket at Waterstone's.
Studios Architecture designed this unique home in Inverness, California.
The Highland Arts folk and HI-EX Comics are running a comic weekend event in Inverness on February 2nd and 3rd 2008.
Mr Holmes arranged for the footage to be played on a TV at a shop in Inverness and he has also shown it to biologist Adrian Shine and Dick Raynor, of the Loch Ness Exhibition Centre.
I said that it was a disgrace that a PC in Inverness will now be paid more than a PC in Brixton or Moss Side.