from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A plural of Kansa.
- A state of the central United States. It was admitted as the 34th state in 1861. Organized as a territory by the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854, it became a virtual battleground, known as Bleeding Kansas, for free and slave factions (1854-1859). Kansas was finally admitted as a free state. Topeka is the capital and Wichita the largest city. Population: 2,780,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A state of the mid United States of America. Capital: Topeka.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- plural proper n. A tribe of Indians allied to the Winnebagoes and Osages. They formerly inhabited the region which is now the State of Kansas, but were removed to the Indian Territory.
- proper n. A state of the central United States, bordering the Mississippi River to the west.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a river in northeastern Kansas; flows eastward to become a tributary of the Missouri River
- n. the Dhegiha dialect spoken by the Kansa
- n. a state in midwestern United States
- n. a member of the Siouan people of the Kansas river valley in Kansas
Sorry, no etymologies found.
CHRISTIAN MORGAN, KANSAS REPUBLICAN PARTY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: She promised a lot of reform when it comes to getting people insured in the State of Kansas.
LIBERAL, KANSAS ��� I don���t know what���s the matter with Kansas (I���ve only been here about 24 hours on a nearly cross-country drive from Washington DC to Phoenix), but, at first glance, things seem to be all right.
It was in 1896, on a summer day when the mercury reached 107 on the streets of Emporia, Kansas, that 28-year-old William Allen White���s sidewalk altercation with a group of William Jennings Bryan���s supporters lead him to pen the ���What���s the Matter with Kansas��� newspaper column that made him famous.
KATHLEEN SEBELIUS, (D), KANSAS: Now, I'm sure you all remember that girl from Kansas who said there's no place like home.
VIEW FAVORITES yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'White House and Kansas governor argue over tornado response then back down |'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'The Bush administration and Kansas\' governor started Tuesday pointing fingers at each other over the response to last week\'s devastating tornado.
KANSAS: Benefits 137,000 workers in Kansas, representing 19.6 percent of all hourly workers in the state.
•Kansas guard Sherron Collins has made just 20 of his past 64 shots since KU's win against Kansas State on Jan. 30.
January 7th, 2010 more images more images LAWRENCE, KANSAS (GaeaTimes. com) - In the last night's basketball game, Kansas won 71-66 over Cornell.
Google Changed Name ... what does topeka mean on google - topeka kansas name change … what does topeka mean on google - topeka kansas name ... why did google change to topeka « Hot News Early last month the mayor of Topeka, Kansas stunned ...
KANSAS: Kansas wasn't expected to contend for a Big 12 title this season, but a season-opening