from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Native American people formerly inhabiting the northern shore of Lake Huron, with later settlements throughout the upper Great Lakes region. Present-day Ottawa populations are located mainly in southern Ontario, northern Michigan, and Oklahoma.
- n. A member of this people.
- n. The dialect of Ojibwa spoken by the Ottawa.
- The capital of Canada, in southeast Ontario at the confluence of the Ottawa River and the Rideau Canal. It was founded as Bytown during the construction of the Rideau Canal and renamed Ottawa in 1854. Victoria chose it as the capital of the United Provinces of Canada in 1858. In 1867 it became the capital of the newly formed confederation. Population: 840,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An Algonquian people closely related to the Ojibwe; also spelt Ottowa.
- proper n. The Ottawa dialect of Ojibwe; also spelt Odawa or Odaawaa.
- proper n. The capital of Canada, located in the province of Ontario.
- proper n. The government of Canada.
- proper n. A river flowing SE between Ontario and Quebec into the St. Lawrence River.
- proper n. A city in Illinois.
- proper n. A town in Ohio.
- n. A member of the Ottawa people.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the Algonquian people of southern Ontario
- n. the capital of Canada (located in southeastern Ontario across the Ottawa river from Quebec)
- n. a river in southeastern Canada that flows along the boundary between Quebec and Ontario to the Saint Lawrence River near Montreal
OTTAWA - A married Ottawa psychiatrist continued to have unprotected sex in his office with a homosexual patient even after the patient told the doctor he was HIV-positive, court heard yesterday.
OTTAWA - There is no way Canada will be able to withdraw its troops from Afghanistan by 2011, Conservative and Liberal senators said Wednesday... posted by Mark, Ottawa at 3:27 PM
OTTAWA - It may be the most sought-after ticket in Ottawa, but when Republican presidential hopeful John McCain addresses a sold-out luncheon tomorrow, it will be hard to find a Conservative politician in the crowd.
OTTAWA - Momin Khawaja secretly used his Department of Foreign Affairs e-mail account to plot the mass murder of hundreds of Britons in the name of radical Islam, court heard on the opening day of the Ottawa man's landmark terror trial.
ANDREW THOMPSON, "OTTAWA CITIZEN": Tonight, Nancy, she ` s still in custody, in jail here in Ottawa.
TORONTO/OTTAWA Reuters - Foreign investors face a long wait before Canada opens up its telecommunications sector as Ottawa eyes a possible election this year and battles the industry's regulator.
OTTAWA - A Transportation Safety Board investigation is under way after a commuter plane on its way into Ottawa from Washington Dulles airport skidded off a runway Wednesday afternoon.
OTTAWA - As forensic investigators began searching the Ottawa home of a military base commander charged with two counts of first-degree murder, details emerged of the man's fractured family life.
OTTAWA - Accused killer Col. Russell Williams told police where they could find evidence, including hidden keepsakes, inside the Ottawa home where he lived with his wife, police say.
BREAKING NEWS. Accused arsonist allegedly stole $100,000 from church OTTAWA - Brian S. Thrush, 22, of Ottawa, passed away early Friday morning, March 19.