from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A historical region of northwest Italy bordering on France and Switzerland. Occupied by Rome in the 1st century B.C., it passed to Savoy in the 11th century and was the center of the Italian Risorgimento after 1814.
- A plateau region of the eastern United States extending from New York to Alabama between the Appalachian Mountains and the Atlantic coastal plain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Region in the north of Italy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Noting the region of foothills near the base of a mountain chain.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In physical geography, a district lying along or near the foot of a mountain-range, like the plain of northwestern Italy near the Alps: applied, for example, to the rolling land next east of the Blue Ridge in Virginia, called sometimes the Piedmont Plain.
- Having the physical character of a piedmont or its relations to a mountain-range: as, a piedmont region or district.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the plateau between the coastal plain and the Appalachian Mountains: parts of Virginia and North and South Carolina and Georgia and Alabama
- n. the region of northwestern Italy; includes the Po valley
- n. a gentle slope leading from the base of a mountain to a region of flat land
Sorry, no etymologies found.
NINA MONTANARO, PIO, PIEDMONT HOSPITAL (via telephone): We do have three patients at Piedmont, two of them are in good condition in the ER.
PIEDMONT - Authorities are investigating a case in Piedmont in which a 23-year-old Berea,
PIEDMONT - A driver was killed Thursday night when his car crashed on Langston Road near Piedmont.
PIEDMONT - Hokes Bluff beat Piedmont 6-4 Monday in the nightcap of a doubleheader.
Ten miles east of my home, east of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the granitic, very heavy clay soil of what we call the Piedmont down there,
Roots: Raised in Piedmont, Calif., where his parents owned a furniture store and an antiques shop.
Becky attended Haven's school which was the only school in Piedmont at the time and went as far as the sixth grade (the school - not Becky).
On February 11 of that same year, in Piedmont, California, Mrs. Miller married Harlan Park Abbott, from whom she was divorced in 1924.
It was caught in Piedmont Lake which is right by my farm.
Joan began high school, which meant going to Oakland, for we were living in Piedmont then.