from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The area historically known as Judea, which was promised to the Israelites by God according to oral tradition recorded in the Book of Genesis.
- proper n. America.
- n. Any place to which one eagerly seeks to go and which one expects to greatly improve one's situation.
- n. Heaven or the afterlife.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. See Land of promise, under Land.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any place of complete bliss and delight and peace
- n. the goal towards which Christians strive
- n. an ancient country in southwestern Asia on the east coast of the Mediterranean Sea; a place of pilgrimage for Christianity and Islam and Judaism
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Obama's preferred image is of the very partisan but magically still post-partisan unifier, he who will lead us to the Better Way and the Promised Land, which strangely enough will look just like a lefty Dem's version of Paradise.
Judeo-Islamo-Christian tradition has no problem with killing and stealing from strangers, beginning with the Promised Land and continuing right up to the invasion of Iraq.
The streets of the Promised Land flowed not with milk and honey but with ordure, and the glories of Askalon and Asdod were faded indeed.
However, the unanimous chilliness with which _The Promised Land_ was received must have effectually disillusioned him.
Moses began the emancipation of the Jews, but didn't take Israel to the Promised Land after all.
Antin, who was brought from a Russian ghetto at the age of thirteen, gave us in _The Promised Land_ a most impressive interpretation of
Beyond it stretched the Promised Land peopled with the lost who soon would be the found.
Yea, it is to Israel the Promised Land, till _every_ prophecy be fulfilled; till the King come to Zion, _lowly and riding on an ass_ (Zech.ix. 9); till -- oh, most mysterious word!
Should results go against them, they could be ten points away from the Promised Land with six games remaining.
The Promised Land represents a land of milk and honey received by trust and obedience.