from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Scorpius and Capricorn.
- n. The ninth sign of the zodiac in astrology.
- n. One who is born under this sign.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Sagittariidae — the secretary bird.
- proper n. : A constellation of the zodiac supposedly shaped like a centaur who is an archer.
- proper n. : The zodiac sign for the archer, ruled by Jupiter and covering November 23 - December 21 (tropical astrology) or December 16 - January 14 (sidereal astrology).
- n. Someone with a Sagittarius star sign
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The ninth of the twelve signs of the zodiac, which the sun enters about November 22, marked thus [♐] in almanacs; the Archer.
- n. A zodiacal constellation, represented on maps and globes as a centaur shooting an arrow.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A southern zodiacal constellation and sign, the Archer, representing a centaur (originally doubtless some Babylonian divinity) drawing a bow. The constellation is situated east of Scorpio, and is, especially in the latitudes of the southern United States, a prominent object on summer evenings. The symbol of the constellation → shows the Archer's arrow and part of the bow.
- n. In heraldry, the representation of a centaur carrying a bow and arrow.
- n. [NL. (Vosmaer, 1769).] The typical genus of Sagittariidæ: so called, it is said, from the arrowy crest; the secretary-birds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Sagittariidae
- n. the ninth sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about November 22 to December 21
- n. (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Sagittarius
- n. a large zodiacal constellation in the southern hemisphere; between Scorpius and Capricornus
SAGITTARIUS November 21-December 20: Mercury in Sagittarius could strain your credibility.
Wealth making has been rather slim with Pluto in Sagittarius; in Capricorn, one of the money grubbing earth signs, better.
Mozart had Sun Aquarius Moon in Sagittarius (same as Yoko Ono) “you have the qualities of an uncompromising intellectual; honesty, strong opinions, and a broad viewpoint on world affairs. … are impulsively quick to act on … ideas, advanced and revolutionary as they may sometimes be. … believe in getting things done, and done in shortest possible time, employing the most innovative methods … can devise.” from here.
The new era of Aquarius which will last 2000 years, just like the past era of Pisces (from the birth of Christ onward); especially the Uranium constellation during the coming seven years and Pluto in Sagittarius will bring about very profound changes for mankind.
The most familiar, as it was the earliest of these, was Caxton's, and next to this must be placed what is usually described as the Sagittarius device.
Chapter Feeds offers a sample from the Battlestar Galactica novel Sagittarius is Bleeding by Peter David.
The Wall Street Journal's Aaron Lucchetti wrote about the complexity of the final payouts for a value-destroying synthetic CDO called Sagittarius (MBIA (LaCrosse Financial Products), Deutsche, Wachovia, UBS ended up in a dispute over the cash): "CDO Battles: Royal Pain Over Who Gets What" December 17, 2007.
This Chandra image of the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy, known as Sagittarius A* or Sgr A* for shortSgr A* and the surrounding region is based on data from a series of observations lasting a total of about one million seconds, or almost two weeks.
Astronomers are confident that our own Milky Way galaxy has a supermassive black hole at its center, in a region called Sagittarius A*:
Deutsche Bank, the trustee for a troubled $985 million CDO called Sagittarius CDO I LLC, sued an affiliate of MBIA Inc. over a dispute about the rights of various classes of investors.