from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A reddish dyestuff obtained from the bodies of certain mollusks of the genus Murex and highly prized in ancient times.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A deep purple dyestuff obtained from the bodies of mollusks of the genus Murex
- n. A deep purple colour, tinted with red, like that of the dye.
- adj. Of a deep purple colour, tinted with red, like that of the dye.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a celebrated purple dye prepared in ancient Tyre from several mollusks, especially Ianthina, Murex, and Purpura. See the Note under Purple, n., 1, and Purple of mollusca, under Purple, n.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a vivid purplish-red color
- n. a red-purple to deep purple dye obtained from snails or made synthetically
After Tyre .(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.