from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- A region of eastern Spain on the Mediterranean coast south of Catalonia. Inhabited by Iberian peoples in early times, it was colonized by Greek and Carthaginian traders and fell to the Moors in the eighth century. The Cid ruled the region and the city of Valencia from 1094 until his death in 1099.
- A city of eastern Spain on the Gulf of Valencia, an inlet of the Mediterranean Sea. First colonized by the Romans (c. 138 BC), Valencia was subsequently ruled by the Visigoths and the Moors before being incorporated into the kingdom of Aragon (1238). The city was the seat (1936–1937) of the Loyalist government during the Spanish Civil War. Spain's third-largest city, it is a major commercial and industrial center.
- A city of northern Venezuela west-southwest of Caracas on the western shore of Lake Valencia. Founded in 1555, it is a major industrial center.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Same as
- noun A linen cloth resembling piqué, used for waistcoats, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A kind of woven fabric for waistcoats, having the weft of wool and the warp of silk or cotton.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- proper noun City and capital of the
Valencian Community( Spain)
- proper noun
- proper noun City in northern
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a city in eastern Spain on the Mediterranean
- noun an industrial city in northern Venezuela
Sorry, no etymologies found.
VALENCIA (SW) - Valencia manager Unai Emery will have to do without midfielder Angulo for the coming six weeks, as result of a knee injury.
The effort to re-establish the old dynamic traits falters when someone such as Antonio Valencia is bought in the wake of Cristiano Ronaldo's transfer.
The agreement was signed a month and a half after the speedy space-age trimaran owned by American software tycoon Larry Ellison routed a catamaran sailed by defending champion Alinghi of Switzerland in Valencia, Spain.
I lived next to a golf course in Valencia and it was loaded.
Designed and crafted in Valencia, Spain since 1975, the process combines computerized manufacturing with artisan glassblowing techniques.
Rangers have admitted to fatigue ahead of their crucial Champions League match in Valencia on Tuesday, the defender Madjid Bougherra conceding after the home draw against Inverness yesterday that he and his team-mates are already feeling the strain.
Champions League victory in Valencia on Wednesday night and a night flight followed by long queues at Manchester airport's passport control in the early hours of Thursday were taking their toll.
Andy Murray has a busy end to the season, with tournaments in Valencia, Paris and London – plus brother Jamie's wedding
The crowds at Istanbul in May were better than expected but still disappointing, while the European grand prix at Valencia is thought to be vulnerable.
Leisure has been a stay-at-home dad for his teenage daughter in Valencia, Calif.