from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of eastern Bulgaria on the Black Sea north-northeast of Burgas. Founded in the sixth century B.C. as a Greek colony, it came under Turkish control in 1391 and was ceded to newly independent Bulgaria in 1878. It is a port and an industrial center. Population: 323,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative capitalization of varna
- proper n. A city in northeastern Bulgaria.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Hinduism) the name for the original social division of Vedic people into four groups (which are subdivided into thousands of jatis)
- n. a port city in northeastern Bulgaria on the Black Sea
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The diamonds of Borneo are distinguished into _four waters_, which they call _varna_, viz. Varna _Ambon_, varna _Loud_, varna _Sackar_, and varna _Bessee_.
This version of Lynx is called Varna वर्ण, a Sanskrit word for 'color' or 'to enclose'.
BoingBoing reader Kristiyan in Varna, Bulgaria says:
It was hard to avoid contrast between the discussion of "strong neighborhoods" and the actual conditions in Varna, especially as trucks rolled by periodically.
Sign prohibiting dogs at Cornell research fields in Varna
I noticed a few weeks ago that several houses in Varna had for sale signs on them, all from Christopher George Real Estate, which tends to focus on Ithaca rental properties.
Recreation Coordinator Jennifer Glaab began with the recreation report, noting that contra dancing turnout had varied from zero in Varna to 45 in Dryden and 25 in Freeville, with one remaining dance in Bethel Grove, which was going to have the extra benefit of George Wilson fiddling.
Moving toward Varna from the last set of buildings, 1101 Dryden Road is the last house in the 1100 block, though it looks like it's on Turkey Hill Road.
The first, heading west to Varna, is Pineridge Residences, which I noted before in an earlier post.
Last week I noted that some rental properties in Varna were for sale, and Kimball Real Estate's site had a lot of information on them.