from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An experienced seaman certified to perform all routine duties at sea. Also called able-bodied seaman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of able-bodied seaman.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a sailor who is practically conversant with all the duties of common seamanship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- a seaman who is competent to perform any work which may be required of him on board ship, such as fitting and placing rigging, making and mending sails, in addition to the ability to “hand, reef, and steer.” Synonyms and Capable, competent, qualified, fitted, adequate, efficient; strong, sturdy, powerful, vigorous; talented, accomplished, clever.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a seaman in the merchant marine; trained in special skills
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.