from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun linguistics A
markor characterused in writing, in order to indicate the place of the spokenaccent, or to indicate the nature or quality of the vowel marked.
- noun music A mark used to represent specific stress on a note.
- noun music A mark placed after a letter designating a note of music to indicate the
octavein which it occurs.
- noun mathematics A mark placed at the right hand of a
letter, and a little above it, to distinguish magnitudesof a similar kind expressed by the same letter, but differing in value, as y', y''.
- noun geometry A mark at the right hand of a number, indicating
minutesof a degree, seconds, etc., as in 12' 27'', meaning twelve minutes and twenty-seven seconds.
- noun engineering A mark used to denote
feetand inches, as in 6' 10'', meaning six feet ten inches.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a diacritical mark used to indicate stress or placed above a vowel to indicate a special pronunciation
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.